How to Dispute Errors on Your Credit Report

Errors on your credit report could cause your credit score to be significantly lower than it would usually be. Unfortunately, a lower credit score could impact your ability to get a loan or credit card and could drive your interest rates through the roof. If you find mistakes on your credit report, you have a legal right to dispute any inaccuracies.

Filing a credit report dispute can be frustrating and stressful, especially since the error was not your fault. If you are having trouble disputing an error on your credit report or are unsure of your next steps, an experienced Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) attorney can help. Your attorney can review your credit reports for mistakes and draft a dispute letter to get your reports corrected and your credit back on track.

What Errors Should I Look For in My Credit Report?

If you noticed one error in your credit report, there could be more. Additionally, you should check your credit report from all three major credit reporting agencies to find potential mistakes. The three main credit reporting agencies are Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion. It is essential to check for all possible inconsistencies before drafting and sending a dispute letter. Some credit report errors that could lower your score include:

  • Identity errors such as a misspelled name or incorrect phone number or address
  • Closed accounts reported as open or delinquent
  • Incorrect account balances or credit limits
  • Account status error such as showing delinquency when you made a payment
  • Incorrect account numbers or accounts you do not recognize

If you suspect your credit report contains mistakes, it may be in your best interest to consult an attorney to review your report. A highly-qualified FCRA attorney will have an eagle eye for credit report errors and help ensure you get every inaccuracy corrected.

How to File a Dispute with a Credit Reporting Agency

After identifying the errors on your credit report, it is time to gather the necessary documentation and evidence for your dispute. Documents like bank statements, birth certificates, and credit card statements may all be applicable depending on the nature of your dispute. Your FCRA attorney can help you determine what documents you need and organize them effectively.

After your documents are gathered, you can file a dispute with credit agencies by mail or through their website. It is essential to note that you need to file a separate dispute with each agency if you notice errors across agencies. Whether by mail or online, each dispute must contain a detailed explanation of the errors and why they are inaccurate. Your FCRA attorney can draft your dispute to ensure no errors are missed and that your rights are protected.

After submitting your dispute, the credit agency has 30 days to investigate the errors. If the error lies with the furnisher of the data, such as your bank, they must conduct their own independent investigation as well. Following all investigations, the reporting agency must send you the results. If they agree with your dispute, your credit report will be updated with all errors corrected. If they disagree, they can refuse to correct the errors. If your dispute was denied and you are sure the credit report is inaccurate, an FCRA lawyer can help you file a lawsuit against the party liable for the inaccuracy.

Speak to an Experienced Fort Lauderdale FCRA Attorney Today

If you suspect there may be errors on your credit report, a skilled FCRA attorney can help you identify all inconsistencies and defend your interests against credit reporting agencies. Attorney Jibrael S. Hindi has dedicated his career to helping consumers in south Florida protect their FCRA rights. If your dispute escalates to a lawsuit, our attorneys are dedicated to ensuring you are compensated for the full extent of your losses. Our firm takes cases on a contingency basis whereby the firm does not get paid unless a recovery is obtained on your behalf. To schedule a consultation with a member of our trusted legal team, give us a call at (844) 542-7235 or by filling out our contact form today.