How to remove a repossession from your credit report

A repossession on your credit report occurs when a lender reclaims a financed asset, like a financed vehicle, due to non-payment of the auto loan. This negative mark significantly impacts your creditworthiness, as it signals to future creditors that you pose a higher risk for repayment.

A repossession remains on your report for up to seven years, making it challenging to secure new credit or loans. If you believe there is a repossession wrongfully reported on your credit, you should immediately take steps to dispute the matter. Never hesitate to seek help from our South Florida FCRA attorney from The Law Offices of Jibrael S. Hindi.

Steps to Remove a Repossession

Removing a repossession from your credit report is a challenging process, but it's possible with persistence and the right legal assistance with no cost to you.

Verify the Accuracy and Check for Reporting Violations

Review your credit report to ensure that the information related to the repossession is accurate. Check for any discrepancies in dates, amounts, or details. Contact the lender or the repossession agency to obtain copies of the repossession documents. These records can be useful for disputing inaccuracies.

Ensure that the lender followed the proper procedures in reporting the repossession. Any violations of the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) may warrant removal.

Dispute Inaccurate Information

Initiate a formal dispute with all necessary credit reporting agencies (CRAs) that issued the report containing the repossession. You can dispute a repossession online with all three credit reporting agencies, and this is the most efficient way to pursue removal:

Include the inaccuracies and provide any supporting documents. Attach any evidence you have that supports your dispute, such as payment records, repossession documents, or any other relevant documentation. The disputes process costs absolutely nothing and our FCRA attorney will help you with any questions you have.


The CRA will forward your dispute to the lender for investigation. The lender must conduct a thorough review and report back to the CRA. Once the investigation is complete, the CRA will provide you with the results. If the repossession is found to be inaccurate, it must be removed from your credit report.

If the repossession is accurate, but you've since paid off the debt or reached an agreement with the lender, you can try negotiating with them to have it removed from your credit report as part of the settlement.

Seek Legal Assistance

If your dispute is not resolved satisfactorily, consult with a consumer protection attorney who addresses credit reporting issues. We can provide legal advice and represent you in further actions if necessary.

How a Florida FCRA Attorney Can Help with a Repossession on Your Credit Report

A Florida FCRA attorney can be instrumental in rectifying a repossession on your credit report. We have intricate knowledge of your rights under FCRA and understand your rights.

  • Conduct thorough reviews: Scrutinize your credit report for inaccuracies related to the repossession.
  • File formal disputes: Prepare and file disputes with credit reporting agencies, providing legal weight to your claim.
  • Leverage legal experience: Use our knowledge of FCRA regulations to advocate for your rights, ensuring compliance by creditors and reporting agencies.
  • Negotiate on your behalf: Engage with lenders and credit reporting agencies to reach favorable resolutions, potentially leading to removal or correction of the repossession entry.

Seek Assistance from a South Florida FCRA Attorney Today

Ultimately, we can be a powerful ally in rectifying the damaging effects of a repossession on your credit report. With our experience dealing with FCRA matters, The Law Offices of Jibrael S. Hindi has successfully disputed many wrongful credit reporting errors. Contact us to set up a free case evaluation regarding your rights and legal options. Seeking legal help costs nothing out of your pocket.



Protection Act


Fair Debt
Practices Act







110 SE 6th St. 17th Floor
Fort Lauderdale, FL, 33301

Speak With a Florida TCPA Attorney

Get Help Today! Call Now.


Scroll Down