What to Do If a Credit Reporting Agency Does Not Correct Your Report

If there are mistakes in your credit report, you have the right to dispute any inaccuracies. Once you challenge the inaccuracies, the credit reporting agency has a duty to delete the information or further investigate the matter before reporting back to you. Unfortunately, credit reporting agencies might not respond, and the inaccurate information remains on your file.

If you need help getting a credit report agency to update your credit report, consider consulting a consumer protection or debt settlement lawyer. An experienced FCRA attorney will understand credit law and can help you enforce your rights against an agency or creditors that violate the FCRA.

Steps to Take If a Credit Report Agency Won’t Correct Your Credit Report

A credit reporting agency that refuses to correct your report actively hurts your credit. It’s essential that your report has accurate and complete information about your credit history. To ensure your credit report has accurate information, you may need to take more aggressive action. The following are steps you can take to update your credit report.

Contact Creditor Directly

Contacting the creditors that furnished the inaccurate information and demanding they tell the reporting agency to remove the date from your credit report is a vital first step. If you receive a letter from the creditor agreeing to fix the incorrect information, make sure to send a copy to the agency to inform them that your report is flawed.

Should the creditor refuse or be unable to assist you in removing the misinformation, contact the credit reporting agency directly. The agency will have toll-free numbers to handle consumer disputes about incorrect items that aren’t removed through the normal re-investigation process.

File a Complaint with the Credit Reporting Agency

If directly contacting the creditor and agency doesn’t work, you can file a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB). The CFPB will move forward with your complaint to the agency and attempt to resolve the issue.

File a Complaint against the Creditor

Suppose the creditor responsible for the incorrect or incomplete information fails to revise it or advise the credit reporting agency of the correction. In that case, you can file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). If the creditor is a large financial institution, you may file a complaint with the federal agency that oversees the financial institution. The CFPB oversees many types of financial agencies. Therefore, you may also file a complaint with them.

Consider a Lawsuit against the Creditor or Reporting Agency

If the inaccurate information in your credit report is causing serious harm to your life and the credit reporting agency continues to give out incorrect information after you have taken steps to request corrections, you may want to consider filing a lawsuit. Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) law, you may sue a credit reporting agency for negligent or willful noncompliance within two years after you discover the inaccuracies or within five years after the inaccuracies occurred, whichever is first. Depending on the violation, you may be able to recover actual damages, statutory damages, punitive damages, court costs, and attorneys’ fees.

Our Consumer Protection Lawyer at the Law Offices of Jibrael S. Hindi Can Help Fix Your Credit Report

Having inaccuracies in your credit report can have severe consequences on your credit and life. At The Law Offices of Jibrael S. Hindi, we believe in aggressively protecting your consumer rights. We specialize in all aspects of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, the Fair Housing Act, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, and many other consumer protection laws. As a consumer protection law firm, we are passionate about protecting our clients against companies who violate the law and helping our clients obtain the compensation they deserve.

When you work with the Law Office of Jibrael S. Hindi, you do not pay a dime unless you get paid. To schedule a free case evaluation with us, contact us through our online form or call (844) 542-7235.